If you know me, you know I like a good taco. While I typically stick to avocado, chicken, steak, or ground beef, I sometimes want something a little more fancy to hit my palate. I’m also a huge fan of such shows as Ugly Delicious and Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat that show how relatable and easy it is to make gourmet-style food at home. Just follow your palate.
Spicy Lime Slaw
14 oz Bag of Dole Traditional Cole Slaw (Shredded Cabbage and Carrots)
1/4 Large or 1 Small Red onion, thinly sliced
1/3 Cup Mayo (Honestly, I use store brand from Aldi or Meijer — I find it tastes just as good as Hellmann’s at a portion of the price.)
Juice of 2 Limes
3 Tbsp Pico Fruta Spice Mix
Your Choice of Tortillas (I used Mission Super Soft Tortillas)
Your Choice of Cheese (I used Shredded Pepper Jack, but I believe that Cotija or Quesadilla would work well, too)
- Preheat your oven for 250* F.
- In a small bowl, combine Worcestershire sauce, golden syrup, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and Aleppo pepper, stirring thoroughly to blend all ingredients together.
- In a shallow pan, place short ribs. Coat short ribs with marinade/braising sauce, then cover pan with aluminum foil. Place pan in oven and set timer for 2 hours.
- While the short ribs are cooking, prepare your slaw.
- To prepare the slaw, first quarter your onion, then slice it into thin pieces.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine cole slaw base and sliced onion, then set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayo, lime juice, and Pico Fruita spice until smooth.
- Combine cole slaw base, onion, and dressing, then cover and refrigerate.
- Once short ribs are done, break them down in the braising liquid so that they are shredded.
- Remove slaw from refrigerator and toss together to blend once more.
- Heat your tortillas on both sides, fill with short ribs, then slaw, then cheese of your choice.
- Serve, eat, and enjoy.