1 Cup Light Brown Sugar, Packed
1 Cup Granulated White Sugar
1 Cup Water
1/4 Cup (or 4 Tablespoons) Unsalted Butter
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
Salt to Taste (Optional)
1. In a medium sauce pan with a heavy bottom, combine sugars and water, stirring until sugars are dissolved.
2. In a second sauce pan, heat the heavy cream and butter together, melting the butter while not allowing the cream to boil.
3. Bring sugar water mixture to a boil. The sugar water should start to turn an amber color.
4. Slowly add the butter and heavy cream mixture to the amber candy mixture, stirring with a silicone whisk to combine.
5. Allow mixture to come up to a boil again, then remove from heat.
6. If making into salted caramel, add salt to taste, ensuring it is blended fully. Allow to completely cool, then pour into containers and use coarse salt to garnish.